ALMS PTA STEAM
STEAM stands for Science Technology Engineering Arts and Math.
The ALMS PTA STEAM Committee seeks to promote the importance of these subjects to both students and parents. STEAM subjects will be increasingly important for most if not all future career paths. Middle school is a critical stage for students to explore these subjects in the classroom and through hands-on activities outside of class.
Member Parents: Victoria Gerber, Aina Lakis, Kisha Skipper, Omer Uzun
Events planned at ALMS for 2018:
- Science Festival: May 22 (exact start time to be announced)
Supported by 2017 National PTA Stem + Families Science Grant, sponsored by Bayer.
- Math Night (time & date to be announced)
Funded by the New Rochelle Fund for Educational Excellence.
- STEAM Movie Night
ALMS Lego Robotics Team competed in the FIRST Lego League Tournament on January 20th and won an award for Core Values.
Periodically, we will try to inform parents of other events outside of ALMS of which we become aware.
Some upcoming events outside of ALMS:
- MATHCOUNTS County Competition (February 3 - ALMS is competing)
- STREAMing to Learning at Columbus Elementary (February 7 & 8, 6-8pm New Dates: February 8 & 9, 6-8pm)
- NRHS Pre-Science Research application deadline for 8th grade students (February 11)
- NRHS Science Fair (Evening of March 1; exact start time to be announced)
- WESEF County Science Fair at Sleepy Hollow HS (March 17)
- FIRST Robotics Competition at Rockland Comm College (March 23/24 - NRHS is competing)
- Explore Your Opportunities – The Sky’s The Limit! For 7th grade girls in New York City and Westchester County (April 14)
- Lower Hudson Valley Engineering Expo at White Plains HS (April 15)
- NRHS Science Research Symposium (Evening of May 23; exact time to be announced)
- Westlake Science Fair at Westlake High School, Thornwood (June 2 - NRHS sophomores are competing)
- Planetarium shows (currently under renovation; dates to be announced)
We need parents and high school students to help organize, promote, and run upcoming events, especially the Science Festival in May. If you are ready to learn how to inspire your children of all ages to explore STEAM subjects, please contact us and look for notices about future events.
If you want to volunteer to help (previous science/math skills not required), have questions/comments concerning curriculum and clubs, or hear of other events you would like to share, please contact the Committee at email@example.com.